Thursday, June 16, 2016

Expressing Desire (And Sentence Practice 6/16/2016)

I know this is strange since I technically haven't even done my first verb lesson on here yet, but when researching how to speak certain phrases, a lot of the things I wanted to say used the たい form to express desire. It's fairly easy to use if you know the dictionary form of the verb, so I thought I'd try it a bit as I practice my sentences tonight.

To say you want to do something, you conjugate the verb to its stem and simply add たい onto the end. Taking the verb to its stem depends on the verb type. For ichidan verbs, you simply drop the る. For godan verbs, you change the う character to its い equivalent. Once it's in that form, you add the たい, like I said.

食べる --> 食べたい   (I eat --> I want to eat)
行く --> 行きたい   (I go --> I want to go)

This fits in with my desire to explain why I want to learn Japanese and visit Japan.

私は人に会いたいです。
I want to meet people.

That sentence uses に as a target particle, which I haven't studied as thoroughly yet, but I can usually understand it when I read it. I want to change the above sentence to say "I want to meet people in Japan." I'm guessing it would read something like:

日本に私は人に会いたいです。
In Japan, I want to meet people.

Again it uses に as a target particle since Japan is my target or destination, but I'm not positive if that's wrong with the placement of 私. Usually in any example sentences I've seen, the location is expressed first and foremost.

Anyway, with that taken care of, I'm going to practice some new vocab related to music and weather so I can talk about that.

今日はいい天気です。
Today is good weather.

昨日は雨でした。
Yesterday it was rainy.

今日はとても暑いです。
Today it's really hot.

今日は蒸し暑いです。
Today it's humid.

この午後は雨です。
This afternoon is rain. (very literal)

どんな音楽が好きですか。
What kind of music do you like?

どの歌手が好きですか。
Who's your favorite singer?

ロックが好きです。
I like rock music.

クラシックも好きです。
I also like classical.

No comments:

Post a Comment