Tuesday, November 21, 2017

そういう / こういう / ああいう

そういう, こういう, and ああいう can be used to refer to someone/something the speaker sees or perceives. The first is for something near the listener, the second is for something near the speaker, and the third is for something further away from both.

These words can also be used to refer to someone/something that the speaker has just mentioned. Here are some guidelines:

  • そういう - used when the speaker has just mentioned someone/something
  •  こういう - used when the speaker has stated something factual about someone/something
  •  ああいう - used when the information that either party mentioned is known to both

日本人は丁寧で親切だ。そういう話をよく聞く。
Japanese people are really polite and kind. I often hear that kind of story.

面白くて元気が出る、そういう本を探しています。
Something interesting and lively - that's the kind of book I'm looking for.

動物園でパンダの赤ちゃんが3匹生まれたそうだ。こういうニュースはうれしい。
I hear that three baby pandas were born at the zoo. I'm so glad to hear that kind of news.

トム:日本のスポーツクラブの先輩と後輩の関係って面白いね。
山田:うん、ああいう関係って、他の国ではあまり見られないだろうね。
Tom: The relationship between senpai and kouhai in Japanese sports clubs is interesting.
Yamada: Yeah, that kind of relationship isn't seen very much in other countries.

In this case I wrote out all the examples Tobira gave for this grammar point so I can better understand the usage for each one. I also need to research why the verb 出る is used in that second sentence, because that confused me initially.

No comments:

Post a Comment