Wednesday, November 1, 2017

他に as "Other Than" or "In Addition To"

A noun + の他に is typically used to mean "in addition to [noun]" or "besides [noun]." It can also be used with verbs and adjectives to mean "in addition to [verb]-ing" or "in addition to being [adjective]", respectively. In some contexts it's used to mean "except for" or "other than."

このクラスにはキムさんの他に韓国語が出来る学生がいますか?
Is there a student in this class who can speak Korean besides Kim?

今日は授業に出る他は、何も予定がない。
Besides going to class today, I don't have any other plans.

日本では、日本語を勉強する他に、色々な所に旅行にも行きたいと思っている。
In Japan, in addition to studying Japanese, I think I also want to go traveling to various places.

週末は宿題がたくさんあったので、勉強の他には何も出来なかった。
I had a lot of homework this weekend, so I couldn't do anything else besides studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment