Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Verbs with Particles

There are several particles used with verbs to indicate how an action is being performed, or used with other words/phrases to provide further detail about it. One of the most useful ones is を, which is pronounced as お. It designates the previous word or phrase as the direct object of the verb. Some examples make this easy to understand.

リーさんはお菓子を食べる。
Lee eats candy.

アヤトはアニメを見る。
Ayato watches anime.

ライトが犬を教える。
Laito teaches dogs.

Tae Kim's guide does a good job of detailing the other common particles. I could do the same myself, but it'd probably be very close to his own descriptions, and I don't want to merely repeat that info word-for-word. I think what I'll do is list the basic function of each particle and give an example or two, rather than going into detail for each one. It'll be easier to get a feel for how they're used with practice, anyway.

と - Used to mean "and" or "with."

私は、友達と泳ぐ。
I swim with my friend.

に - The target of an action. A bit fuzzy to me, but it seems most useful with intransitive verbs to specify further detail as to how that action is being performed. It can also be used with a time or location.

アヤトは家に行く。
Ayato goes home.

リーさんは明日に出る。
Lee leaves tomorrow.

で - Also a bit fuzzy, but it generally reads as "by means of" to express context for a situation.

彼は会議で話す。
He talks at the meeting.

へ - Used for actual direction of movement. Pronounced as え.

彼女は学校へ歩く。
She walks to (towards) the school.

Credit goes to Tae Kim's lesson seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment