Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Important Verbs

I need to expand my verb vocabulary, because right now it's painfully limited. I'm going to list all the important verbs I'd like to know under two categories: ones I currently recognize, and ones I don't. Then I can make up flash cards appropriately.

Currently know:
to go - 行く 「いく」
to do - する、遣る 「やる」
to eat - 食べる 「たべる」
to know - 知る 「しる」
to understand - 分かる 「わかる」
to sleep - 寝る、眠る 「ねる」、「ねむる」
to walk - 歩く 「あるく」
to talk - 話す 「はなす」
to live - 生きる 「いきる」
to grow - 生える 「はえる」
to die - 死ぬ 「しぬ」
to run - 走る 「はしる」
to tell - 教える 「おしえる」
to see - 見る 「みる」
to buy - 買う 「かう」
to learn - 学ぶ 「まなぶ」
to fix - 直す 「なおす」
to meet - 会う 「あう」
to exist (inanimate) - ある
to exist (animate) - いる

Need to learn:
to laugh - 笑う 「わらう」
to cry - 泣く 「なく」
to love - 愛する 「あいする」
to drive - (having trouble finding a good answer here)
to drink - 飲む 「のむ」
to nap - 仮眠を取る 「かみんをとる」
to swim - 泳ぐ 「およぐ」
to try - 試みる 「こころみる」
to kiss - 吸う 「すう」
to possess - 擁する 「ようする」
to jump - 跳ねる 「はねる」
to read - 読む 「よむ」
to play - 遊ぶ 「あそぶ」
to say - 言う 「いう」
to smile - 微笑む 「ほほえむ」
to need - 要る 「いる」
to carry out - 行う  「おこなう」

For "to drive", the listings I found in the dictionary had a billion different options for various contexts, but nothing simple like "to drive a car", which is what I'm looking for. I'll have to check with other people to make sure.

I'm sure I'll think of more I'd like to learn over time, but for now this is a decent enough start. I'm going to make flash cards for all of them, regardless of which list they're in, because I want to ensure I know them like the back of my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment