Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Italki Notebook Entries

I've made my first couple public notebook entries on Italki (other exchanges have been private), and I'm really glad I did. People correct them fairly quickly, and so far it's surprisingly easy to understand where I went wrong and why other people's edits make more sense. I was hesitant initially because I didn't think I could understand enough to comprehend people's corrections, but it seems I was wrong.

I'm trying to decide how often I'll post there, versus doing sentence practices on here. I'm not sure if it's bad practice to post lots of random sentences there for people to correct, so maybe I'll search through other users' notebook entries to see how common that is.

Now I'll post the sentences that were corrected from my entries so I can make note of what I did wrong and remember it for future reference.

Original:
日本語が難いですのに、勉強していますのが大好きです。なお初心者ですが、たくさん学びたいです。

Corrected:
日本語は難しいですが、勉強するのが大好きです。なお(日本語は)初心者ですが、たくさん学びたいです。

The first is for 難い to 難しい. I thought the former might be a better word to convey "difficult", but I was wrong. So I should stick with 難しい for that purpose. He also changed my のに to が ("even though" to "but"), which I guess makes sense. I think that may sound more natural.

Next is 勉強していますのが to 勉強するのが. I had conjugated する to polite and ongoing form, but it looks like plain form makes more sense here for nominalizing it with の.

I haven't mentioned this in a lesson yet because it's something I've only seen in passing, but if I want to say "I like [verb]", then I have to use the format above. I can basically take the entire verb clause and make it into a noun with の, then put が after it so I'm saying "[verb phrase] is the thing that I like." That way I'm not limited to plain nouns like "book."

Finally, the last correction is in parentheses because it's not really necessary, but it's specifying that "(As for Japanese) I'm a beginner." Makes sense, though I didn't think I needed to specify it because of the context.

This was a short notebook entry for me, but it's already been very helpful. I think I may make more frequent posts on Italki and then analyze my feedback on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment