Sunday, October 2, 2016

Te-Form - Nouns and Adjectives

Apparently the te-form is going to follow me to my grave. With verbs, the te-form can be used to join sentences by listing multiple actions. When applied to nouns and adjectives, it can be used to join sentences in much the same way. Converting them to te-form is fairly simple.

I-adjectives: Replace the い with くて.

Na-adjectives and nouns: Add で.

For any of the above types of words in this form, です would not be used immediately afterwards. It would instead be used at the end of the sentence. The last noun or adjective in the list conveys the tense and is not in te-form, just like with verbs.

その犬はとてもかわいくて、元気です。
That dog is really cute and energetic.

アリスは高校にきれいで、人気だった。
In high school, Alice was pretty and popular.

部屋は暗くて、未組織だね。
My room is dark and unorganized.

猫はよくて、眠かった。
The cat was happy and sleepy.

いとこは静かで、親切です。
My cousin is quiet and kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment