Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Adjective Clauses

Likely another semi-repeat post, but it's bound to happen with the overlap between Tae Kim and Genki. I think now that I've kinda found my "groove" in Genki, I'll stick with that and only refer to Tae Kim's grammar guide for clarification or specific examples.

Anyway, nouns can be described with long clauses, including ones that contain verbs. These clauses are placed just before the noun, showing that in Japanese, descriptors are almost always positioned this way. This includes phrases like "the guy who busted his head on the wall", or "the busted his head on the wall guy", as it would be ordered in Japanese. Note that the plain form of the verb must be used in these clauses.

あそこで昼ごはんを食べている男は日本語の先生。
The guy eating lunch over there is my Japanese teacher.

かみが短い女子は新しい友達ですよ。
The girl with the short hair is my new friend.

公園に走り回っている犬は母の。
The dog running around at the park is my mom's.

十一時に起きた学生が同居人です。
The student who got up at 11 is my roommate.

It's going to take some practice to read these phrases and recognize them, because as I read I essentially have to store the adjective clause away in my brain until I reach a noun that I can apply it to. But they're simple enough to write with plain verbs, so I'm feeling more comfortable with them for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment