Sunday, October 2, 2016

Purpose of Movement

I'm certain I've made a post on this topic before, but I'm going to repeat it because it's in this chapter of Genki. Plus reinforcement is always good.

Use of a verb stem + に + 行く (or other motion verbs like 来る or 帰る) indicates that someone is going somewhere to do something. I know that's quite the vague description, so let me give a few examples.

アリスは家にゲームをやりに来た。
Alice came over to play games.

アヤトは学校に友達を会いに行った。
Ayato went to school to see his friend.

ライトは家にねに帰った。
Laito went home to sleep.

スバルはモールに服を買いに行った。
Subaru went to the mall to buy clothes.

私は図書館に文学を勉強しに行った。
I went to the library to study literature.

This lesson seems kind of short, but I know this is an extremely common speech pattern that we use in daily life, so it's good to have it here as reinforcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment