Sunday, October 16, 2016

Past Tense - Plain Form

Now that I'm familiar with te-form, verb conjugation to the plain past tense is somewhat simplified. This form is used in the same scenarios as plain present tense - casual conversation, quoting somebody, or acting as a phrase as another part of a sentence (ex. "Fred is good at catching fireflies").

Affirmative past tense essentially means taking the て or で from the te-form and replacing it with た or だ.

Ichidan Verbs
  • Remove the る and add た 
  • Ex: 食べた、開けた、忘れた、いた
Godan Verbs
  • す verbs
    •  Replace す with した
  • く verbs
    • Replace く with いた
  • ぐ verbs
    • Replace ぐ with いだ
  • む、ぶ、ぬ verbs
    • Replace む、ぶ、ぬ with んだ
  • う、つ、る verbs
    • Replace う、つ、る with った
  • Ex: 消した、書いた、泳いだ、死んだ、買った

Negative past tense is done differently, however. Rather than conjugating based off the te-form, I instead go from the negative present tense. All plain negative verbs end in ない, so to make them past tense I simply drop the い and replace it with かった.

リーさんは晩ごはんを食べなかった。
Lee-san did not eat dinner.

アリスはコンサートに行かなかった。
Alice did not go to the concert.

ジムは指輪を買わなかった。
Jim did not buy me a ring.

I'll do some sentence practice next so I can incorporate both of these forms. Even if past affirmative isn't as bad as learning te-form from scratch, I still need lots of practice with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment