Thursday, October 20, 2016

Sentence Practice 10/20/2016

My current Genki chapter has a lesson on から, something I learned awhile back from Tae Kim's guide. It can be used as a conjunction to bring two sentences together, similar to the the word "so" in English.

The format of the sentence must be reason + から + result, and if the word before から is a plain noun or na-adjective, it must have either です or だ used with it.

Since there are two sentences being combined, there are two opportunities to use either polite or casual form. It's alright to use polite + polite, casual + casual, and casual + polite. But polite + casual is wrong, and it sounds strange if the first half is polite and the second half is casual.

Anyway, since this is a simple concept and I still remember it quite well, I'm going to practice with it a little.

カナトは甘味が欲しかったからパン屋に行った。
Kanato wanted sweets, so he went to the bakery.

レイジは変で青いりんごを見つけたから食べた。
Reiji found a strange blue apple, so he ate it.

外は寒いですから、帰ります。
It's cold outside, so I'm going home.

今日は誕生日だから、今晩出書けている。
Today's my birthday, so I'm going out tonight.

海の幸が好きじゃないから、そのレストランに行きたくない。
I don't like seafood, so I don't want to go to that restaurant.

アヤトは泳ぎが大好きだから、週末プールに行った。
Ayato loves swimming, so we went to the pool over the weekend.

スバルは買い物がつまらないと言っていたから、一緒に遊園地に行った。
Subaru said shopping is boring, so we went to the amusement park together.

1 comment: