Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Expressing Quantities (Time and "A Lot")

I'm going to combine a couple small grammar points into one post here since they're semi-related and similar in nature.

The first is to express how long something took, such as "I did X for 1 hour." That length of time is represented by the number, followed by 時間 to state that it was a period of time. This is placed before the verb within the sentence.

アヤトと二時間話しました。
I chatted with Ayato for two hours.

明日は八時間働く。
Tomorrow I work for eight hours.

Adding ぐらい at the end of the time expression turns it into an approximate measurement.

日本語を一時間ぐらい勉強した。
I studied Japanese for about an hour.

今日は五時間ぐらい走り回った。
Today I ran around for about five hours.

That's about it for that bit of grammar. Like I said, the time expression goes before the verb, so there may be an "interrupt" between the verb and any particles (like を).

The second point is related to expressing "a lot." This is done using たくさん, which I've used before and seen multiple times due to how common it is. It can either be paired with the noun in the sentence, or it can be placed after the を particle.

私はたくさん酒を飲んだ。

私は酒をたくさん飲んだ。

Both sentences translate to "I drank a lot of sake." It's just that the location of たくさん has changed.

たくさん宿題をした。
宿題をたくさんした。
I did a lot of homework.

たくさんピザを食べた。
ピザをたくさん食べた。
I ate a lot of pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment