Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Expressing "Also"

The particle も is often used when referencing two or more people who performed the same activity. For example:

私は昨日公園に行きました。
I went to the park yesterday.

アヤトも公園に行きました。
Ayato went to the park, too.

But it can also be used when referring to the same action performed on multiple items.

リーさんは野菜を食べる。
Lee eats vegetables.

彼は果物も食べる。
He also eats fruits.

ライト君は水を飲む。
Laito-kun drinks water.

彼は血も飲む。
He also drinks blood.

In this case, も is replacing the を particle entirely, rather than being used alongside it. も can replace the particles は, が, and を.

If I want to say I went to multiple places (or went somewhere on multiple occasions), then I can use も with the particle に.

本屋に運転した。
I drove to the bookstore.

友達の家にも運転した。
I also drove to my friend's house.

月曜日に図書館に行った。
I went to the library on Monday.

火曜日にも図書館に行った。
I went to the library on Tuesday, too.

Again, in both cases the particle order is にも (which I'll remember by picturing Nemo from Code: Realize). The も particle will not replace the に particle in either instance.

No comments:

Post a Comment