Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Verb stem + 込む

A verb stem + 込む can be used to mean a number of things. In general it tends to intensify the meaning or further express what is occurring with the original verb - to be deeply, thoroughly, or completely doing something. It can also express putting something into something else, or getting into something. It's best to learn the verbs individually and understand the meaning via context.

大きい音に驚いて、ガムを飲み込んでしまった。
I was surprised by a loud noise and ended up swallowing my gum.

日本の電車のアナウンスでは、よく「かけ込み乗車はおやめ下さい」という。
Japanese train announcements often say "Please do not rush aboard."

昨日は、久しぶりに会った友達と一晩中話し込んで、徹夜してしまった。
Yesterday in the evening I was deep in talk with a friend I hadn't met in awhile, and I ended up staying up all night.

自分は絶対に正しいと思い込んでいる人とは、あまり話したくない。
I don't really care to talk with people who are convinced that they are absolutely always right.

No comments:

Post a Comment