Sunday, December 4, 2016

Using すぎる to Indicate Excess

I've finally reached the last chapter of Genki I. There's a couple points in this chapter that I've already studied, but also several I haven't, so it's time to jump in so I can soon move on to Genki II.

The verb すぎる, which on its own means something like "to surpass" or "to exceed", can be attached to verb stems to apply an "excessive" meaning to that word.

晩ごはんに食べすぎました。
I ate too much at dinner.

It conjugates as an ichidan verb to indicate tense and politeness, and can be used in other sentence structures just as a normal verb.

前夜飲みすぎたから、今日どこにも行かないつもりだよ。
I drank too much last night, so I'm not going anywhere today.

今朝起きすぎたから、コーヒーをたくさん飲んだ。
I woke up too early this morning, so I drank a lot of coffee.

It can also be attached to adjectives to apply the same type of "excessive" meaning. This is done by dropping the い in i-adjectives, or by just attaching it to the end of na-adjectives.

その犬はうるさすぎるでしょ。
That dog is too noisy.

ライトはこの血が甘すぎると思っている。
Laito thinks this blood is too sweet.

リーさんの部屋は静かすぎます。
Lee-san's room is too quiet.

あの日本語のテストはかんたんすぎるね。
That Japanese test was too easy.

It's important to note that すぎる does not mean "too much" in a good way. As Genki says, "You use it when something is beyond normal or proper, suggesting that you do not welcome it." Thus it's best to use とても or すごく for saying something is in a high degree in a positive manner (such as "you're too kind").

No comments:

Post a Comment