Monday, December 19, 2016

NHK News Easy

This is a bit of a silly post, but I feel pretty damn proud right now, so I'm gonna make it anyway.

It's extremely difficult to begin reading a variety of material in Japanese, because it seems like every other word I encounter is something new, and something I have to look up in the dictionary. But I'm trying to be persistent about it, and that paid off today. I was finally able to fully understand an NHK News Easy article (the site is here).

I know this isn't a huge accomplishment in the grand scheme of things. But it still means a lot to me, because it means my studies are paying off. And did I mention that learning to read in an entirely new language is extremely difficult? Because it is.

A bit dark, but the article was about a family of four in Japan who was found murdered. Police haven't caught the suspect yet but have a basic description of what he was wearing at the time, so they're asking citizens to keep an eye out for him. They've also asked anyone who potentially has any info to come forward, whether it's a tiny detail or something substantial.

Anyway, not much else to say since this is just a quick celebration post, but hurray! I feel like I can learn to read again! And if I keep reading, I'll only get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment