Wednesday, June 20, 2018

後の

The expression 後の can be followed by a counter or noun to express "the remaining X" or "the rest of X." The の is optional, but can be used to distinguish it from the case where 後 + noun means "more." In that expression の is not used.

このクラスには学生が15人いる。大学生が12人、大学院生が1人、後の2人は高校生だ。
There are 15 students in this class. 12 are college students, 1 is a grad student, and the remaining 2 are high school students.

1週間の旅行のうち、三日間は東京に、後の四日間は京都に行く予定だ。
For my week trip, I'll be in Tokyo for 3 days, and then I'm scheduled to go to Kyoto for the remaining 4 days.

これは私の物です。でも、後の物は全部ルームメイトの物です。
This is my stuff. But all the rest of the stuff is my roommate's.

日本語の宿題は今晩しますが、後の宿題は明日するつもりです。
I'll do my Japanese homework tonight, but I plan to do the rest of my homework tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment