Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Using まで with Verbs

A verb + まで means "until [verb]." This results in the common sentence format: A まで B, which would mean "Until A, B." This usually results in A describing some kind of completion or change, since B will continue to occur until A has completed. The verb in A is always affirmative and in the present tense.

宿題をするまで、出ないよ。
I'm not leaving until I finish my homework.

この漢字は分かるまで、毎日三時間勉強する。
Until I understand this kanji, I will study for three hours every day.

If the subject of A differs from the subject of B, then A's subject is marked with the particle が instead of は.

トムがお金を返すまで、車を運転し続けている。
Until Tom returns my money, I'll continue driving his car.

学生がこの単語を覚えるまで、宿題を与える。
I will assign homework until my students memorize this vocabulary.

Remember that A will remain in the present tense even if the rest of the sentence is in the past tense.

就職するまで、お金がなかった。
I didn't have any money until I got a job.

作文を書くまで、あまり食べなかったよ。
I didn't eat much until I wrote that essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment