Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Pronoun Particle Usage

The particle の has another use, in that it can replace a noun to avoid repetitive sentences.

隣人は黒い犬がいます。白いのもいます。
My neighbor has a black dog. He also has a white one.

In the second sentence I could've just as easily said 白い犬, but there's no need to waste time repeating this noun I've already mentioned before. Also, just as a side note, も replaces が in the second sentence.

The particle can also be used to state possession, without having to specify the object again.

それはアヤトの財布。
That's Ayato's wallet.

それはアヤトの。
That's Ayato's.

I'll try to create some longer practice sentences where it's used, rather than the obvious ones above.

赤いシャツを買いたかったけど青いの買った。
I wanted to buy a red shirt, but I bought a blue one.

スバルの料理のほうがレイジのよりおいしいと思う。
I think Subaru's cooking is more delicious than Reiji's.

茶色のパンツが好きじゃないから、黒いのを着た。
I don't like brown pants, so I wore black ones.

リーさんは教科書を見つけなかったから、私のをあげた。
Lee-san didn't find his textbook, so I gave him mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment