Sunday, May 22, 2016

Introduction

Well, this is awkward.

I'm creating this blog to have a place for me to practice my writing as I continue to learn Japanese. Almost daily I've said to myself "man, I need to practice writing" but only wrote a few sentences on notebook paper. I think having this here as my online notebook will encourage me to write more freely so I can practice using new vocab and grammar as I learn it.

Anyway, I'm Sleepy. I go by Sleepy on many sites. I'm 25 at the time of creating this, and I currently work as a software engineer. I'm not exactly sure what made me want to start learning Japanese. My friend was learning it, and I had another friend who knew some of it from her college course, which made me want to know more. Also, after playing games that had Japanese voice-acting (but English translations) I found the language to be beautiful and wanted to learn about it.

So currently I'm studying on a daily basis with the goal of becoming fluent in the language. Some of my resources right now are Tae Kim's guide, his group on facebook, WaniKani, iTalki (for language partners), Japanese From Zero (though I use it far less, lately), and a few random books I got from Amazon for reading and writing practice. If I ever find anything new that seems useful, I try to snatch it up since using multiple sources can provide you with new perspectives and broaden your horizons.

Hopefully this blog will be of some use to me. I may or may not make posts here where I track my lessons or time spent studying, as well as any formal goals. One goal I will mention upfront is the ability to play a full game in Japanese. There are several I'd like to play that have no translations and are unlikely to ever be translated, so I'm determined to play them one way or another. I've promised myself I will learn Japanese!

No comments:

Post a Comment