Wednesday, September 13, 2017

More on ように

Genki II touched on ように and its usage, but there are a couple more uses for it that I'm going to explore now.

In addition to being used to relate the similarity of two things, it can also mean something like "when X is as Y shows..." or "as explained by X..." That's difficult to visualize, so I'll give some Tobira examples.

これはチョコレートのように見えるけれど、消しゴムだから、食べられません。
This looks like chocolate, but since it's an eraser you can't eat it.

先生がおっしゃるように、言葉は毎日勉強しなければ上手にならないと思います。
I think that, as the teacher says, if you don't study the language every day, you won't become good at it.

この本に書いてあるように作れば、おいしいドレッシングできるよ。
If you make it as is written in this book, you'll have delicious dressing.

Its usage in these sentences relates to similarity in a way, since they're essentially saying "when X is done in this manner..."

I'm going to continue studying this point with some external sources, since I need to further improve my understanding. There are additional meanings that Tobira has not mentioned thus far, but I'm sure I'll reach them eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment