Saturday, May 6, 2017

Questions Within Sentences

When expressing a lack of knowledge or certainty in English, we may say things like "I don't know who stole my books," or "I don't know whether Greg passed math." In Japanese, stating things like this may translate literally as "Who stole my books? - I don't know," and "Whether Greg passed math? - I don't know."

トムはどこに鍵を置いたか覚えてない。
Tom doesn't remember where he put his keys.

来月日本に行くかどうか知ってないよ。
I don't know whether I'm going to Japan next month.

The question itself is expressed in the middle of a sentence, with the related statements like "I don't know" added afterwards. Sentences with question words like どこ and だれ are followed by か, while sentences with yes/no answers (generally expressing "whether") are followed by かどうか. However, in more casual speech, か is simply used in both instances.

It's also important to note that, while nouns and na-adjectives within clauses often end with だ (like with だから or だけど), it is dropped in these sentences.

リーさんはだれが先生か知ってない。
Lee-san doesn't know who his teacher is.

レイジが友達かどうか決めよう。
Let's decide whether Reiji is a friend.

Finally, the explanatory の particle can also exist within these "question clauses." As mentioned before, since だ is dropped, what is usually an ん will instead become の.

どうしてカナトがパーティーに行かなかったのか分からない。
I don't know why Kanato didn't go to the party.

アリスは彼氏がいるのかどうか知ってる?
Do you know whether Alice has a boyfriend?

No comments:

Post a Comment