Thursday, March 9, 2017

Expressing Hope with といい

"I hope you're doing well" or "I hope you ace your test!" and other similar expressions are very frequently used in English. We generally say "I hope" followed by some sort of positive event that we wish to occur.

To express this in Japanese, the といい pattern is used. This consists of the plain present tense form of a verb, followed by といいですね or といいね for more casual scenarios. This is used when "wishing for the good luck of somebody other than yourself," says Genki.

元気にしてるといいね。
I hope you're doing well.

カナトは迷路で迷わないといいね。
I hope Kanato doesn't get lost in the maze.

パンツを見つけるといいですね。
I hope he finds his pants.

リーさんがその松を登れるといいね。
I hope Lee-san can climb that pine tree.

If you want to say that you hope for something for your own good, then it's better to use といいんですが or といいんだけど, both of which sound more modest.

食べ物が美味しいといいんですが。
I hope the food is yummy.

車を直すといいんだけど。
I hope they fix my car.

Finally, it's important to note that this expression is used when hoping that something nice happens, meaning that it's generally out of your control. If it's something in your control, then the verb can be conjugated to the potential form, and then the といい pattern can be added.

日本では新しい友達を合えるといいんだけど。
I hope I can meet new friends in Japan.

秋、カナダに行けるといいんですが。
I hope I can go to Canada in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment