Monday, February 20, 2017

Stating Determinations

The last lesson looked at the casual volitional form. This form plus と思っています can be used to talk about a determination or intention.

来年日本で従兄弟に訪ねようと思っています。
I've decided that next year, I'll visit my cousins in Japan.

The 思って portion implies that you've put some thought into this decision, and that the decision itself has already been made when you're saying it. In contrast, using と思います implies that the decision was made on the spot.

新しいドレスを買おうと思います。
I'm going to buy a new dress.

It's important to remember that the volitional form must be used here to convey this meaning. If the plain form of the verb is used, it sounds like you're just making a prediction or saying "I think..."

Anyway, I'll do a couple more examples to get used to the "feel" of this grammar point.

リーさんに車を盗もうと思っている。
I've decided that I'm going to steal a car for Lee-san.

この生け花をアヤトにあげようと思う。
I'll give this flower arrangement to Ayato.

あの仕事を辞めようと思っています。
I've decided to quit that job.

一時間に日本語を勉強しようと思います。
I'll study Japanese for an hour today.

No comments:

Post a Comment